About The Blue Ribbon Commission on Pennsylvania’s Election Security
The Blue Ribbon Commission on Pennsylvania’s Election Security is an independent, non-partisan commission studying Pennsylvania’s election cybersecurity. As a battleground state, and one with outdated election infrastructure, systems, and technologies, Pennsylvania is a prime target for hackers wishing to disrupt the US electoral process.
The Commission will produce a final report in 2019, which will provide practical recommendations to state and local Pennsylvania officials with respect to better securing the state’s elections.
Primary areas of focus will include efforts needed to address vulnerabilities in the: (1) cybersecurity of voter registration, rolls, and databases; (2) cybersecurity of voting machines, tabulation, and storage; and (3) resiliency and recovery of Pennsylvania’s electoral system following a potential breach.
We are grateful for the generous support of The Heinz Endowments and for collaboration between Pitt Cyber, Carnegie Mellon’s Software Engineering Institute CERT Division, and Verified Voting.
David Hickton – Founding Director, Pitt Cyber, University of Pittsburgh and former US Attorney for the Western District of Pennsylvania
Paul McNulty – President, Grove City College and former US Deputy Attorney General and former US Attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia.
Jim Brown – Former Chief of Staff to US Senator Robert P. Casey, Jr; former Chief of Staff to Pennsylvania Governor Robert P. Casey
Esther L. Bush – President and CEO, Urban League of Greater Pittsburgh
Mary Ellen Callahan – Former Chief Privacy Officer, US Department of Homeland Security
Susan Carty – President, League of Women Voters of Pennsylvania
Nelson A. Diaz – Retired judge, Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas
Jane Earll – Attorney; former Pennsylvania State Senator
Douglas E. Hill – Executive Director, County Commissioners Association of Pennsylvania
Mark A. Holman – Partner, Ridge Policy Group; former Deputy Assistant to the President for Homeland Security; former Chief of Staff to Pennsylvania Governor Tom Ridge
Ken Lawrence – Vice Chair, Montgomery County Board of Commissioners
Mark A. Nordenberg – Chair of the Institute of Politics, University of Pittsburgh; Chancellor Emeritus of the University; Distinguished Service Professor of Law
Grant Oliphant – President, The Heinz Endowments
Peri Jude Radecic – CEO, Disability Rights Pennsylvania
Pedro A. Ramos – President and CEO, The Philadelphia Foundation
James C. Roddey – Former Chief Executive, Allegheny County
Marian Schneider – President, Verified Voting; former Pennsylvania Deputy Secretary of State for Elections and Administration
Bobbie Stempfley – Director, CERT Division, Software Engineering Institute, Carnegie Mellon University
David Thornburgh – President and CEO, Committee of Seventy
Sharon Werner – Former Chief of Staff to US Attorneys General Eric H. Holder, Jr. and Loretta E. Lynch
Dennis Yablonsky – Former CEO, Allegheny Conference on Community Development; former Pennsylvania Secretary of Community and Economic Development
Charlie Dent – Former US Congressman, 15th District of Pennsylvania
Paul H. O’Neill – 72nd Secretary of the US Treasury
Dick Thornburgh – Former Governor, Pennsylvania; former Attorney General of the United States; former Under-Secretary-General of the United Nations
*Affiliations are provided for identification purposes. Commissioners are serving in their personal capacities.
The Commission invites and encourages public comment to inform its work. These comments will be carefully reviewed. The comment period will be open until August 2018. The Commission requests comment with respect to: (1) cybersecurity of voter registration, rolls, and databases; (2) cybersecurity of voting machines, tabulation, and storage; and (3) resiliency and recovery of Pennsylvania’s electoral system following a potential breach.
Selected Media Coverage
- Lack of Leadership Leaves Locals on Front Lines of Cyber Defense - David Hickton, Special Guest - The Rachel Maddow Show | MSNBC
- Joseph Sabino Mistick: A Paper Trail Could Help Secure Elections — and Democracy - The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
- Senator McCaskill Claims Russian Hackers Tried to Hack Her Computer - David Hickton, Special Guest - MSNBC Live with Katy Tur
- Panel Looking at Ways to Protect Local Elections from Hackers - WPXI-TV
- Expert: Russian Hackers Elusive But Not Untouchable - The Rachel Maddow Show | MSNBC
- Muller Indicts 12 Russians for 2016 Election Interference Ahead of Trump-Putin Meeting - David Hickton, Special Guest - MSNBC Live with Katy Tur
- No Time for Complacency in PA on Election Security - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
- New Advisory Panel Will Investigate Pennsylvania Election Security - WPXI-TV
- Grove City College President Co-chairs Statewide Election Security Committee - Erie News Now
- Hack-Resistant Voting Machines Missing as States Prepare for 2018 Vote - Bloomberg
- Non-Partisan Commission Forms To Ensure Security In Future Elections - 90.5 WESA News
- New Voting Machines Will Be Costly, But Necessary - The Tribune-Review
- Voting Safe: Top Minds Are at Work on Pa. Election Security - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
- Pitt Eyes Voter Security Board - The Sharon Herald
- Two University Officials Leading Investigation into PA Election Security - WFMJ
- Pitt Rolls Out Commission to Limit Risk of Election Hacking - The Tribune-Democrat
- University of Pittsburgh Creates Commission to Study Pennsylvania's Election Security - StateScoop
- Commission Set to Investigate Pennsylvania Election Security - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
- Pennsylvania Experts Review Election Cybersecurity - Politico
- New University of Pittsburgh Commission to Focus on 2020 Election Security - The Tribune-Review
- Ahead of the 2020 Election, Let's Address Pennsylvania's Election Security So Your Vote Can Count | Opinion - The Philadelphia Inquirer
- McNulty, Hickton to Lead Election Security Commission - Grove City College
- Pitt Cyber Forms Commission to Protect and Secure Pennsylvania’s Vote - Pitt News Services